Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Value of Posting

I am in the midst of a blizzard at work, and time pressures have caused me to reevaluate what I invest my time in. The first thing I did was uninstall RTCW: Enemy Territory. That will get me a good 15 hours a week back right off the top. Unbelieveable, when I think about it.

Man, that's a fun game, though. Total guy game. Nothing but blasting butt with automatic weapons.

Anyway, nothing great was ever accomplished without sacrifice. Which brings me to the value of posting on a blog. It's tempting, after all the "0 Comments" I've seen on my blog and on others to consider this a vain effort, or like Steve and Josh were talking about on their podcast recently, an exercise in ego. No comment on the ego part, I just am what I am. But with regard to the vanity (using the "futile" definition of the word) of posting on a blog, I don't feel that way at all. I have found very meaningful nuggets posted on others' blogs, and the form of human interconnection that it enables is special. I can also testify to the personal value of getting these thoughts out. Journaling is a long-established beneficial practice, and I've certainly used this blog more like a journal and much less for commentary (unlike so many of the punditry blogs). It also helps me keep up my writing chops, which is important to me.

I also know that others have mentioned that a post I made had value for them in their own lives, making them think or helping them to relate. That's definitely worthwhile.

So, ego-driven or not I will continue to post here and hope that it proves useful and productive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home