Thursday, August 03, 2006

Meet Global Warming's Newest Disciple

Apparently, as recently as October Pat Robertson criticized evangelicals like Rick Warren for signing a declaration calling for the reduction of carbon emissions in order to mitigate global warming. He accused them of camping with "far left environmentalists." His own CBN News Watch posted a highly skeptical piece on global warming.

And then, amidst a brutal East Coast heat wave (following on an equally brutal West Coast heat wave of the last couple of weeks), Pat Robertson has become a believer in global warming. I must say, I was left shaken after that bizarre weather, where it was hotter and more humid in Los Angeles than in Atlanta, Georgia. I kid you not.

Something is up, and even unlikely sources of alarm around global warming like Pat Robertson are being added to the chorus. Regardless of whether or not one is sold on global warming science, the same environmental stewardship that a thoughtful Christian caretaker of God's resources might adopt will yield the same results as carbon-cutting Kyoto would.

Hopefully this signals a broader change among evangelicals. Somebody ought to contact the SBC and see if they have become believers in global warming.

6 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just read this today over at stopglobalwarming.org headlines.

He actually said, "If we are contributing to the destruction of this planet, we need to do something about it."

I've been asking myself where his head has been all this time, with all the evidence around us.

Apparently, the blinders og evangelicalism know no bounds.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"I've been asking myself where his head has been all this time..."

You don't really want an answer to that, right?

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Wasp Jerky said...

I suppose this is good news. It's hard to take anything Pat says seriously. But he does have a big audience that seems to be smitten with him, so I guess any positive influence he can have on them is a good thing.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Steve said...

While I don't believe the global warming "hysteria", I do believe it is important to be good stewards of our earth's resources and not wasteful.

In my opinion, the recent heat wave is no indication that "something is up". Although it was perfect timing for the Al Gore movie... so I wonder if the democrats had something to do with it.... makes one think.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Mrs Zeke said...

As I told Zeke from my research

Global warming friends say the earth has heated up by .0128 Cel since measured by satellites

Global warming foes say the earth has cooled by .037 Cel since measured by satellites

I am thinking since there was an ice age, there may be a natural hot house age.

But maybe not.

So friends of Pat say He is right on all

Foes of Pat say he is wrong on all

I am thinking there is a time to be stupid, there may be a time to be wise.

But maybe not.

Love now tomorrow is not promised

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Mrs Zeke said...

Yep your right Jeff there is always plenty of "gas" floating around maybe if everyone who wants to pull there own chain just shut up there would be no green house worry :)

But then again maybe not.


Be loved , you are

 

Post a Comment

<< Home