Monday, July 24, 2006

Fooled Again


As I grow older I become more and more appreciative of what I'll call "humbling moments"--those times when I am forced by the sheer weight of facts to admit that I've been fundamentally wrong about something that I was insistent about. They don't engender the feelings of insecurity that I used to experience as a 20-something when I felt that if I didn't know something I wasn't worth anything. I don't have as much to prove these days, so I can take some pleasure in instruction and in the process of unlearning.

So rather than the optical illusion above being something in the vein of "hey, look at this cool new thing I found on the web," I want to use it as a teaching humbling moment: both Square A and Square B are the same color. No, I insist: they are the same shade of gray. See here for confirmation. And then there's this.

It's liberating to discover errors. Didn't Jesus say it would be so?

So the thought for the day: what religious, cultural, ethnic or political illusions hold us in their bind? God, I pray you give us an unending series of humbling moments until we see the truth--and are truly set free.

5 Comments:

At 12:44 AM, Blogger Ninjanun said...

"When interpreted as a 3-dimensional scene, our visual system immediately estimates a lighting vector and uses this to judge the property of the material."

And that is why it's so hard to be an artist!


As far as religious/cultural/political perceptions that hold us back? I got nothin' at the moment. Ask me when the quarter's over. ;)

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger dufflehead said...

now that's a cool optical illusion . .
stupid brain leaving information out

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I saw Pat Robertson use this picture once, except he said that only true believers can see that the green thing and the checkerboard are identical in size, shape and color.

But I'm sure you already noticed...right?

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Zeke said...

Indeed, by the power of the same spirit that told me Tinkie Winkie is a flamer.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...


So the thought for the day: what religious, cultural, ethnic or political illusions hold us in their bind? God, I pray you give us an unending series of humbling moments until we see the truth--and are truly set free.


I found your blog on the Stupid Church People site. A lot of interesting points expressed here.

I specifically like this quote. How many times have I tried to figure out how the preacher or the politician got me to see one thing, when the opposite was clearly true, all along?

Nice post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home