Thursday, January 25, 2007

What Does it Mean to Lean on God?

What does it mean to lean on God? As Mrs. Zeke is well aware, this is high on my mind right now.

I've done my best to practice it in the past... I think. When the economy upended after 9/11, I remember doing a lot of face-planting into the carpet, giving everything up to God, praying and weeping, begging in prostration. I spent a lot of time in prayer and Bible study as my finances went up in flames, the engine blew up in my car, we pulled our daughter out of private school, and the bills got more and more overdue.

I know that it was in the midst of this crisis that I tried harder than ever to lean on God. That probably explains why I ended up being so pissed at church. If you can't bitch at the boss, bitch at the help. Maybe that's it, or part of it.

But I really would like to understand just what it means to lean on God, to trust in his purposes and care. Maybe you have some experiences to share.

3 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's a fair question, and a difficult one. My conclusion sounds almost fatalistic, but my idea of leaning on God is sort of learning to not worry about what's going to happen. Worry doesn't change anything, as scripture suggests. That's not to say you abandon sense (which is also God-given). But you do what you're able, and trust that God's paying attention.

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the reasons I haven't been blogging for a while is that I've had a lot of personal stuff on my mind.

Without going into too much detail, I'm in the middle of a job change. It's a good move, but it has left us with no steady income for about 2 months.

During this time, I've leaned on God. I've been trusting Him like my son trusts me... just expecting Him to be a good Father.

Has everything happened the way I hoped? No. I haven't won the $350 million Powerball Lottery. But I've watched as people have put sizeable amounts of money in my hand on more than one or two occasions. I've watched as we've had what we needed to pay every bill on-time.

When I am tempted to falter, I go back to the scriptures and find strength and joy there.

Ultimately, I think 'leaning' helps us take some of the weight off of ourselves. And for me, that's where I've been living these past months...

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Zeke said...

Right on, Jefe... really good to hear from you again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home