Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Should I Be On My Best Behavior?

What I've put up on occasion on this blog--the Naughty Thread pictures, the goofing off with my friends, talking about how much I like beer, the occasional swear word--please let me know if you think it detracts from the overall message or, like I hope it does, serves to underline the message.

Somebody dropping in for the first time might not know what I mean, but this is really for those of you who frequent this blog. I'm not blithely unaware of how we are supposed to respect the weaker brother, nor am I unaware of how we are supposed to live lives that are beyond reproach. In emphasizing the point that I believe we in the evangelical church overemphasize external cleanliness at the expense of internal cleanliness, I've purposefully--and I do mean purposefully, with intent--neglected to polish the outside of my bowl. Like I've said in my podcasts and in other comments before, I don't mind poking a virtual finger into the eye of what I think is a Pharasitical spirit. Also, it's frankly a relief to not have to pretend that I'm cleaner than I really am. However, people I love and care about are worried for me, and that hurts like a--well, it just really hurts. If we burn up hours and hours talking about the f-word or randy pictures, what have we really accomplished for the Kingdom--on either side of the debate? And have I become unbalanced in my criticisms of the evangelical church to the point that I'm not really serving anyone save myself and those who agree with me?

So if you, who I also respect, think the "dirty on the outside of the bowl" behavior detracts from the message more than it serves it, then I'll dispense with it. It's the message that matters. I'm genuinely open on this, so speak up and help me out.

6 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger Ninjanun said...

I don't think it detracts at all. If you feel the need to "polish up the outside of the bowl" in order to make your message more effective (and for whom?) how is that any different from the preacher who smiles on Sunday, wears a suit and tie, and uses colloquialisms and trite slogans (when he'd much rather wear jeans, NOT smile, because frankly, he's tired and having a bad day, and call a spade a spade) because he doesn't want to offend the other church goers?

Frankly, I hate hate hate the weaker brother argument being used ad infinitum by supposedly "strong" Christians who are so damned concerned that you're going to hurt your witness or drag down a weaker brother by your use or enjoyment of things that aren't really sins. Maybe if the church was more serious about discipleship, we wouldn't have so many weaker christians in the church wasting time crying over salty language and beer drinking at the expense of starving children in Darfur.

I think someone who uses a bit of salty language, enjoys a beer (or in my case, wine or margharitas), and waxes eloquent over the hotness of Angelina Jolie (or Vin Deisel) yet helps the poor, strives for justice, shows mercy, and loves their neighbors is the one truly above reproach; not the one making sure they're minding their P's and Q's while being a jerk to those who don't think and act exactly as they do.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Ninjanun said...

But hey, that's just my completely humble and honest opinion. ;)

What do I know, after all?

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Message? I'm just here for the cheerleaders.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Zeke said...

Those are naughty schoolgirls, Dorse. Pay attention.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

maybe that was me who was cheering...

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Wasp Jerky said...

The Christian life is not supposed to be about hiding our sin, about hiding who we are. Say what you want. If people can't accept you for who you are, flaws and all, then that's their problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home