Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Zeke Tells it Like it is: The Meaning of True Love

"What is true love, and how do you know when you have found it?" asks Christiananswers.net, which offers up "biblical answers to contemporary questions for all ages and nationalities" in tens of thousands of files. In this case, the answer to the question is given by pointing to 1 Cor 13:4-8:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."
Fair enough. Who am I to quibble with the Bible? But if you want to know what true love really is when the rubber meets the road, what kind of love keeps divorce at bay, what kind of love sustains you when the crap of the world hits the fan of your life, what kind of love changes screwed up lives, redeems lost souls, what kind of love has the power to change the very makeup of a man, it's this:

Unconditional acceptance.

Unconditional acceptance, as in when another human being has seen the worst of you, the very blackest parts, your sickest fantasies, darkest dreams, most humiliating failures, every bodily blemish, every swell, wrinkle and pucker, every shitty mood, every drunken stupor, every moral failing, when that other human being has taken in the worst that you have to offer life and chooses to see the good in you despite all of it. When that other human being casts away your failings like yesterday's rubbish and gets on with the business of loving you today. My God, what power there is in that love! Nothing compares. Not a thing in this troubled life can exceed it, and the wealth of princes and kings can't buy it. Few of us in this life are blessed to receive this kind of love, and even fewer give it.

When this kind of love comes from God, it's called grace. Amazing grace. The best thing in life. Unconditional acceptance from the Creator. True love from heaven.

A wise man once told me that when you have the true love of a woman, "you will wake up believing that you might just be a better man that you really think you are." This certainly characterizes my wife. Mrs. Zeke, you are amazing. Gracious, loving, and amazing.

Thank you for your true love.

2 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt this kind of love to my, i called him my soulmate. he stopped seeing me 3 years ago.I accepted him who ever he is. I want to show him about the kind of love i have for him but he puts a barrier between us. I never demand or complain to him about whats happening to us. I wanted and still wants the best of everything for him. I want his happiness and success in all his dreams in life. never hate or get mad at him aside from what he did. I still feel that we have this deep connection with him even with this 3 years being apart from him.I want him back.I have the true happiness and completeness when i was with him. God gave him to me for a reason. I never felt this way with anybody aside from him. and i will accept him with my open arms. I don't care when, where or whoever he is what i care is this unconditional acceptance and unconditional love i have for him. AMAZED I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU TIL ETERNITY. Thanks ZEKE...

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous greenapplelarks421 said...

True Love never fades away. even that person is out of sight, it Stays in your heart forever.
Sorry its only now that i posted in your blog, better late than never isn"t it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home