Thursday, August 04, 2005

Rock Star INXS: It's Only Rock & Roll, But I Love It!


When I first read that INXS was launching Rock Star: INXS, a reality show to find a new lead singer to replace Michael Hutchence, I despaired. How could such a reputable and accomplished band sink so low as to pimp themselves off to reality TV?

Then Mrs. Zeke and I sat down to watch it... and I am a transformed man. Watching this show, I realized that the producers, the band, and cohost Dave Navarro had created pure magic. All the best that is Rock & Roll--the pure fun, pageant, power, energy, creativity, drive, community, all of it--has been captured on this little gem of a show. Where American Idol is crassly and unashamedly commercial, Rock Star:INXS is about the love of the art. Where AI cops cheap laughs off of foolish contestants, RS:INXS is warm and respectful to everyone.

When a contestant comes up to perform, everyone--from Dave Navarro, to INXS, to the crowd, to the other contestants--gives into the song. There's a pure innocence to the process that honors the art form in a way that I never would have expected from a reality show. They pump their fists, sway their arms, dance with abandon... what a warm and refreshing experience.

If you miss any more of this spectacular show, you will regret it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home