Thursday, May 17, 2007

First Discipline: Thanksgiving

So, this week I began to take on the discipline of giving thanks. This consists of using my morning time (working out, the shower, commute time, etc.) for thinking about what I'm grateful for, then writing down at least ten things daily, then thinking of at least one person to express my gratitude to. It's been an interesting process. Here's some of the things on my list so far for this week:

  • that I'm taking on discipline
  • that I got up this morning to do yoga
  • that my car runs well
  • that (person) has been easy to work with
  • for chai lattes--like joy in a cup!
  • that my daughter had a good day in classes last night
  • that my wife has a heart to care for other people
You get the picture. I'm looking at a list of about 40 of those types of things right now.

I know that disciplines are taken on for their own sake, but I don't mind mentioning some positive side effects. I would say that much more than usual this week, I have been pretty calm and accepting of things. Not my usual worry-worting. And without getting into the specifics, evidence popped up that I had been worrying needlessly about something important in my life.

I must admit, I have had my mind on things just a little bit higher than what's on my desk and my email inbox, which is a fine development.

6 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very encouraging.

Thanks.

HEY! IT'S CONTAGIOUS!!!
WOOHOO!

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger mark said...

Zeke - I know this is a bit off topic, but I've been listening to some old episodes of Godscrum. Very good stuff, man. I am certainly thankful for your wise perspective.

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been thankful for my lack of discipline. Granted, I don't get much done, but the food tastes a lot better...

:)

Good for you, Zeke. Keep posting the benefits of what you're working on. It's helpful to read.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger ChemE said...

Lately I've been thankful for fellow bloggers who love Jesus. In particular those who are frustrated with church. Your words have both helped me directly, and given me perspective and words to love and minister to others who have been hurt. It's amazing how readily hurt people who have a sense of humor and a love for Jesus come together.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Zeke said...

Mark, Jefe, Chem: Thanks to you all for your encouragement. I'll keep posting here about the progress.

Dorse, on a completely different topic, I miss that picture of you in the ballerina outfit.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just close your eyes, click your heels, and believe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home