Thursday, January 19, 2006

A Sage Way to Keep Up on the Blogs

If you're not using Firefox, you really should be. Internet Explorer has some real and pervasive security issues, while Firefox is generally recognized to be much more secure. Firefox is more standards-compliant than IE, and Firefox is truly free--as in, it costs nothing and does not belong to any company or government. And it runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Since Firefox is so open, there is a lot of creative work being invested to make Firefox do cool new things. I use extentions to keep a regular weather forecast down in the bottom area of my browser, for instance. I also have an extention that allows me to open PDF documents in a separate tab.

But the coolest of my Firefox extentions is Sage. Sage allows you to create a list of blogs (and a wide variety of other sites) and view the list in the sidebar of Firefox. My list is to the left. By pressing the button in the upper left (with the swirling arrows around a document) Sage will automatically check all your subscribed blogs for you and let you know which have new content. You can then go right to the content by clicking on a blog name.

Note, for instance, that Trent's blog Gracehead is highlighted. That means that Trent has a post that I haven't seen yet, so if I click on that link it will take me straight to Trent's blog and show his posts in a summarized format. Clicking on one of the posts takes me to his actual blog.

Now, I don't have to go to my own blog and click through the links I keep there to see what's new. Big time saver.

5 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger Mrs Zeke said...

ya know just cause you can use all the shiny new stuff does not mean we all can!

Gee babe I won't even go to a new OS unless the games I want are no longer made in the OS I am using and firefox is just confusion to me.

If they ever make Housecall a pay for service I am in trouble!

Love you....more

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Sage doesn't work for macs so what's the point?

Seriously though... you can use Net News Wire Lite for the Mac and it works well for these purposes.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Zeke said...

Steve, the home page for Sage shows a screenshot of Sage running on a Mac.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Well it may show it, but the download/install link on their site doesn't work in a mac.... either that or their instructions are bad. It downloads a file with a .xpi extension which is a distinct Windows install package.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Zeke said...

Hmm, too bad Steve. Normally they note when an extention will only work in Windows. Sowwy about that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home