Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Like a Drink of Water...

While I was reciting my beeflist in Godscrum Episode 12, a friend of the show sent me some info on Kindness in Jesus, a group of people in Nashville that I find truly inspirational. Imagine a ministry that shows simple kindnesses to the unfavored in society, like giving backpacks with comfort and toiletry items in them to the homeless and giving small, quality gifts to gays and abortion clinic workers. My personal favorite:

We purchased Bath & Body Works gift sets and distributed them to prostitutes. A Nashville newspaper reported that, on average, city prostitutes perform seven sexual acts per day. Women so accustomed to being used and having things taken from them were visibly moved to have something given to them, without being asked for something in return. One lady simply put her head in her hands and couldn't speak.

It's important to note that we believe in giving nice, quality goods. Christ's love is golden, the finest thing known to man. From our perspective, secondhand, cheap, or low-quality items might fail to communicate just how special each individual is to Jesus.

What's important is that they simply do these kindnesses "in the name of Jesus." Not to get more bodies in their churches or to preach at them. Simply to remind the world that Jesus cares, and he does so through his followers. And that he doesn't love with conditions.

May God bless this group and their efforts, and I am inquiring about being a part of what they're doing. I'll happily report here on that progress.

2 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger GraceHead said...

Cool. I sent them an email.

This is what it is all about.
I like the Jesus that I see in them!

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Mrs Zeke said...

That is one of the most perfect examples of love ever.
Thanks Babe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home