Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Noise cancelling addictions

My thus-far faithful iPod Mini gave up the ghost without warning yesterday morning. Given that this little unit has been my almost constant companion, lulling me to sleep and filling my commutes and workouts with songs and the spoken word on a daily basis for two and a half years, my first reaction was total dismay. No more iPod?

Damn. Lameness.

Then I began to reflect on why this was such a big deal for me, especially when it comes to going to sleep. I should mention that while in general I don't sleep terribly well on any given night, the summer heat makes it even worse. And when I am troubled in my thoughts, sleep can be very elusive.

But the iPod helped with that. I came to realize that the iPod was often acting like a kind of white noise generator. This is sort of what noise cancelling headphones do, by the way. Just generate more noise to help tune out some other noise. In this case, the chattering in my skull.

Can anyone else relate to this?

4 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want some good sleeping music, go to iTunes and check out a CD called "Sleeping in the Rain".

It's a Hemi-Sync recording by the Monroe Institute, and it totally helps me get GOOD sleep, especially when I'm in hotels or when I can't turn off the day...

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger mark said...

I find that games and TV sometimes act as noise cancelling headphones for my mind. I go comfortably numb, mentally speaking.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Zeke said...

Jefe, thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

Mark, I've been known to nod off in front of the TV, but I've been trying to keep a schedule. And the wife and I decided once and for all that we'd have no TV in the bedroom.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Maria said...

My mind has been so busy in the last 2 years or so that benadryl and the sleep timer on the tv are the only things that can lull me to sleep - and most of the time I have to use them together.

Best wishes finding some sort of system!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home